Being involved in a motor vehicle accident can be overwhelming, and knowing the next steps to take might feel like venturing into uncharted territory. It’s completely natural if you’re wondering, ‘When should I reach out to a lawyer?’ While connecting with a motor vehicle accident lawyer sooner rather than later is always advisable, we understand that every situation is unique. That’s why we’re here to guide you. This post will delve into the reasons and timing for contacting a motor vehicle accident lawyer ensuring you’re well-informed and empowered to make the best decisions for your circumstances.
The Immediate Aftermath of an Accident – Be Safe
While this post is about the days after your accident, if you are at the scene of an accident or in the period Immediately after a motor vehicle accident, there are a few things to consider first.
- Check for injuries – First, ensure you are ok, then check on any passengers. Do not move seriously injured people unless it’s critical for safety.
- Prioritize safety – assess immediate danger. If possible, move vehicles out of the flow of traffic and to the side of the road. Turn on hazard lights.
- Call for help – If somebody hasn’t done so on your behalf, call emergency services. They will be able to provide medical attention and if necessary police assistance.
- Document the scene – Take photos and videos if able to, and collect information from other people in the accident. Things like names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance details, and license plate numbers of the drivers. If there are witnesses their contact information.
- Avoid admissions of fault or guilt – You are likely overwhelmed. It can be an impulse to say sorry or apologize. Avoid doing this as it may be used by the insurance company later to minimize your claim.
- Avoid confrontation – Emotions can run high after an accident. Ensure you remain calm and avoid confrontations. If the other party is being aggressive, do not antagonize them or engage.
When To Contact a Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer
The best time to contact a motor vehicle accident lawyer is right after the accident. Early intervention by a skilled injury lawyer can help your case immensely. They can ensure evidence is preserved, witnesses are interviewed promptly, and essential documents are gathered. Many people make the mistake of waiting to contact an injury lawyer, and these key pieces of your case are degraded or lost. It is never “too early” to contact an injury lawyer.
If you don’t contact a motor vehicle accident lawyer immediately, that is okay. It is also beneficial to talk to one before speaking with insurance adjusters. An insurance adjuster’s goal is to protect the insurer and the other driver. They are skilled in presenting questions that could undermine your claim. Additionally, insurance policies can be confusing with different waivers and coverage, an injury lawyer can help you understand your coverage and policy, so you are fully aware of your entitlements.
Finally, a common situation is to contact an injury lawyer as injuries linger. Initially, you may feel like your motor vehicle accident wasn’t that bad, and your injuries will heal. However, they linger, and you begin to realize that this may be a longer process than you wish to admit. That is a common scenario people face, and is a good point to contact an injury lawyer and understand your options thoroughly. Some injuries take time to manifest, and others have a varied recovery time. An experienced injury lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best move forward.
Why You Should Contact an Injury Lawyer
You should contact an injury lawyer for many reasons if you have been in a motor vehicle accident. They are best suited to handling your motor vehicle accident claim and helping you attain justice. First, an injury lawyer is familiar with the rules that govern the road, like the Rules of the Road legislation and the Traffic Safety Act. They also deeply understand tort law and the avenues available to you after your accident to ensure you get the settlement you deserve.
Injury lawyers are pros at guiding you through the claims process. They ensure your claim is handled right, maximizing its value. They tap into expert advice to establish the genuine worth of your claim and are adept at securing the best settlement for you. Simply put, with such a lawyer by your side, you’re set to get the resolution you deserve after an accident.
Contacting an injury lawyer allows you to focus on your recovery and have peace of mind that an expert is handling your claim. You won’t have to worry about paperwork or if you are getting the settlement you deserve.
Contact Hammer Injury Law Today
Hammer Injury Law offers free consultations to help you understand your rights. If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident and are unsure of the next steps, contact Hammer Injury Law today. Rick Mallet, Founder of Hammer Injury Law, will walk you through the process and help you understand your rights.